This week, musician Kevin Singleton (The Cold Mourning, El Famous, Inept) joins me for a performance outside Bottom Lounge (1375 W Lake St, Chicago, IL 60607), the epic Chicago live music venue he manages.
Kevin plays two awesome Cold Mourning songs (“Hopeless,” “Tombstone”) before we bring food into the car from the spectacular Bottom Lounge menu. If you’re planning to see a show at Bottom Lounge, plan on getting there early for dinner; the food rocks.
This podcast is sponsored by BOOST MOBILE!
We talk about:
- Kevin had to become “Johnny Law” when one of the bands at Bottom Lounge brought booze outside the venue.
- Advice for independent bands: How to present yourself and what to do when you’re looking to get booked for gigs.
- “What are some good things a band can do… besides ‘make good music?'”
- Kevin’s ascension in the local music scene, specifically with the band Inept (“we started up right out of high school; we didn’t have a care in the world”)
- El Famous’s history, including last year’s profoundly emotional album.
- The reason why El Famous isn’t doing much right now.
- Why Cold Mourning makes perfect sense as an artistic outlet for Singleton right now.